Competitive Awards for HOTS Schools
Foster Elementary School (MI), was awarded the Michigan State Golden Apple Award for huge gains in test scores with underachieving students.
Roosevelt Elementary (CA), received the Achieving Schools Award from the California State Dept. of Education.
South Elementary (SD), Tucson Unified School District (AZ), Ludington Area Schools (MI), Wyomissing Area School District (PA), were all winners in statewide competitions for their student gains, and were recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as an exemplary Title I program.
Wright Elementary (CA) Designated one of the top seven gain-producing Title I schools in California.
Oceanside School (CA) Voted most innovative K-8 program by California School Board Association.
Special Recognition for HOTS Students
- Students win Science Fair awards in North Carolina and Maine
- Student from Massachusetts wins $100 in essay contest
- Student Tom Paola, from Fowler Intermediate in Maynard, MA appears on Late Night with David Letterman for his ROBO-CLENEATOR invention
- Student from C.R. Whitefield in Grimesfield, NC wins Girl Scout award for selling the most cookies
- HOTS team from Dan Mills Elementary, Nashville, TN beats 52 Gifted teams statewide
- 34% of HOTS students at Fairless Intermediate in Pittsburgh make honor roll; 73% have perfect attendance
- HOTS students at Glenwood Elementary in Marion, NC adopt a manatee after finishing the HOTS whales unit; they write the Florida Governor about it and he responds
- One of Lynne Shapiro's HOTS students at Elizabeth Green School in Newington, CT won the Bojnowski Award for making the most progress in reading and 8 others were selected for the school's 'Student of the Month' for citizenship and performance.
- Title I HOTS students in Clovis (NM) out-performed gifted students in regional science contests.